The role of the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Council is to establish standards and qualifications for Barbados’ technical and vocational education and training system as mandated by the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Act, 1993-11 of the Laws of Barbados.
The main functions of the TVET Council are to:
- Advise the Minister of Labour on policy relating to Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET)
- Coordinate TVET at the tertiary level
- Make grants or loans for the support and provision of TVET through the Employment and Training Fund (ETF)
- Establish occupational standards for TVET
- Establish training priorities, tests, qualifications and accreditation
- Award National/Caribbean Vocational Qualifications (N/CVQs)