Use the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to find answers to questions you might have. If you don’t see the FAQ you’re looking for, contact us directly at email@example.com or call (246) 435-309683 or (246) 228-3383/84.
What are Occupational Standards?
Occupational Standards are detailed written descriptions of what an employee is expected to know and do in his/her work role. They are benchmarks against which the actual performance of people in occupational roles can be measured or assessed and form the bases of Caribbean/National Vocational Qualifications (C/NVQs).
What are the Occupational Standards for Barbados?
Occupational Standards have been developed for:
- Amenity Horticulture Level 1
- Amenity Horticulture Level 2
- Bar Service Level 1
- Bar Service Level 2
- Business Administration Level 1
- Care of the Older Adult Level 2
- Customer Service Level 2 (Revision: Approved CVQ)
- Developing a New or Existing Business Enterprise Level 3
- Entertainment and Events Technology Level 1
- Food and Drink Service Level 1
- Food and Drink Service Level 2
- Food Preparation and Cookery Level 1
- Food Preparation and Cookery Level 2
- Housekeeping Level 1
- Housekeeping Level 2
- Management Level 2
- Management Level 3
- Marketing Level 3
- Occupational Safety and Health Level 3 (Approved CVQ)
- Providing Security Services Level 2
- Reception Level 1
- Reception Level 2
- Using Information and Communication Technology Level 1
- Assessment Level 4
- Barbering Level 2
- Barbering Level 3
- Brick Block Laying and Rendering Level 2
- Carpentry Level 2
- Cosmetology Level 2
- Electrical Installation Level 2
- Furniture Finishing Level 1
- Furniture Making Level 1
- Furniture Making Level 2
- Interior Decorating Level 2
- Interior Decorating Level 3
- Masonry Level 1
- Massage Therapy Level 3
- Massage Therapy Level 4
- Mechanical Maintenance Level 1
- Musical Performance Level 2
- Nursery Care Services Level 2
- Plumbing Level 1
- Plumbing Level 2
- Stevedoring Foundation Skills Level 1
- Training and Assessment Level 4
- Training and Development Level 4
- Wall and Floor Tiling Level 2
- Welding Level 1
- Welding Level 2
Why use Occupational Standards?
Companies can use Occupational Standards to attract and retain the best employees while clients can benefit from higher cost savings through reduced risks and mistakes. And when employees use the standards, they achieve recognition, progression and upward mobility. In a nutshell, Occupational Standards are used for:
- recruitment and promotion
- job design, performance appraisal and work planning
- assurance of output/service quality
- identification of training and development needs
- designing education and training programmes
- assessing occupational or professional competence
- forming the basis for developing vocational qualifications, including a framework of N/CVQs
Who uses Occupational Standards?
Some of the companies in Barbados that are integrating Occupational Standards include:
- Sandy Lane Hotel
- Nature Care Barbados
- Harris Paints Barbados (2003) Ltd.
- Goddard Enterprises
- CGM Gallagher Insurance Brokers (B’dos) Ltd.
- G4S Secure Solutions
- Caves of Barbados (i.e. Harrison's Cave)
- Barbados Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd.
- Cave Shepherd & Co. Ltd.
- Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation
- Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
- Barbados Light and Power Co. Ltd.
- Trowel Plastics (B’dos) Ltd.