There are many benefits of PLAR for individuals, employers and training providers.
- It provides the opportunity for the recognition of lifelong learning through the granting of certification of professional certification at appropriate levels.
- It saves time because they do not have to repeat learning for skills or knowledge they already have
- It allows a fast-track to recognized qualifications
- It can have a significant impact on self-esteem and motivation
- It provides an opportunity to have knowledge and skill gaps identified and addressed
- It provides a way of more effectively and efficiently utilizing skills already in the workplace
- It enables skill gaps to be identified, providing a sound basis for training needs analysis and career planning
- It fosters a learning culture, since its builds confidence to undertake further education and training
- It provides an opportunity for an increase in the number of certified workers available
To training providers
- It provides better use of training resources through reduced teaching/training time and resources
- It can assist the development of learner and employer-centred training programmes
- It has genuine and valuable learning outcomes in its own right, regardless of whether recognition is awarded