TVET can help your child train and further develop his/her skills for the world of work in a number of ways:
Occupational Standards are precise descriptions of what employees are expected to know and be able to do in their work roles. They are designed to base training, qualifications and recognition of achievement on independent evidence of what people are able to do. Through Occupational Standards your child will:
- Get recognised! – He/she will achieve recognition, progression and upward mobility (work as well as education and training related)
- Get better access – Improved access to training and qualifications he/she may previously have been unable to get
- Have his/her skills evaluated fairly – He/she will receive fair and just assessment and development opportunities because of independent criteria and open access to qualifications
Click here for more information on Occupational Standards.
National/Caribbean Vocational Qualifications
National/Caribbean Vocational Qualifications (N/CVQs) are work-related certifications that measure an employee’s level of competence. They are awarded by the TVET Council and offer several benefits:
- recognition of knowledge and skills
- increased job satisfaction
- improved progress up the career ladder
- flexible route to getting qualified
- improved employability and transferability
Click here for more information on N/CVQS including benefits to the country, levels of qualifications, where they are available, as well as how they are earned.
Vocational training isn’t only for those with certain types of skills or jobs; it can benefit everyone. That’s because to be prepared for and excel in the world your child will need to understand both the theory AND have the practical skills to do the job. Do you think he/she are ready to make the next move?
Samuel Jackman Prescod Polytechnic - (246) 426 1920
Barbados Vocational Training Board - (246) 436 7970
National Initiative for Service Excellence - (246) 426 4186
University of the West Indies Open Campus - (246) 417 4496
Career Development Institute - (246) 431 0957
National Employment Bureau - (246) 426 1511