Who the qualification is for?
This qualification is for anyone assisting amenity horticulture activities for example:
- Grounds man
- Nursery Assistant
- Golf course worker 1
- Greenhouse Assistant
- Sports Turf Assistant
- Recreational Area Assistants – to include Parks, Amenity Areas, Beaches and Waterscapes and Nature Trails
- Certain Categories of farm workers
- Plant Shop Assistants
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How it is structured?
The qualification requires the candidate to complete six units – three mandatory and three from a
group of nine optional units. This structure is intended to reflect the mix of activities surrounding
the core of Amenity horticulture in the industry.
What it covers?
The mandatory units cover:
- Best practice in planting, establishing and maintaining plants
- Developing and improving personal performance
- Health and Safety
- Maintaining effective working relationships
The optional units cover:
- Transporting Supplies
- Maintaining grass surfaces
- Maintaining Structures and Surfaces
- Equipment Maintenance
- Propagation of Plants Sexually and asexually
- Harvesting plants
- Identifying and Controlling pests and diseases
- Preparation of growing media