Who is the qualification for?
The NVQ in Bar Service Level 1 is for individuals whose Bar Service role requires well developed behavioural competence, but whose scope for independent decision making and for bringing about change is limited. They are likely to be in roles where for example they:
- Assist bartenders by keeping the serving area stocked with supplies
- Replenish the supply of clean glassware
- Keep the bar stocked with glasses, liquor, ice and drink garnishes
- Keep the bar equipment clean and wash glasses
- Perform a range of varied, routine activities under supervision
Normally, persons working at Level 1 should be able to competently carry out simple and routine work activities and to collaborate with others through work groups or teams. The qualification covers the competencies of providing bar service by preparing, setting up, providing a drink service and closing down bar, while working in a safe and hygienic manner.
Relevant occupations include:
- Assistant Bartender
- Bar Steward
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How the qualification is structured:
To achieve the full qualification, candidates must complete seven (7) units in total made up of six (6) mandatory units plus one (1) optional unit.