Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the maintenance industry who wish to acquire basic knowledge in the electrical installation field: for example:
- Apprentice Electricians
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units. Elective units achieved will be awarded unit Statements of Competence.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Follow principles of occupational health and safety in the workplace
- Use electrical/eectronic measuring devices
- Draw and interpret sketches and simple drawings
- Prepar for electrical conduits/wiring installation
- Cut, bend and install electrical conduit
- Install, terminate and connect electrical wiring
- Disconnect and reconnect fixed wired electrical machinery, appliances and fixtures
- Attach flexible cables & plugs to electrical machinery appliances and fixtures
- Perform manual soldering/de-soldering – electrical/electronic components
The optional units include:
- Perform basic repair to electrical/electronic apparatus
- Terminate signal and data cables – (basic)
- Cutfit and install trunking system
- Prepare and install basic cable trays