Who is the qualification for?
The NVQB in Food Preparation and Cookery Level 1 is for individuals whose Food Preparation and Cookery role require well developed behavioural competence, but whose scope for independent decision making and for bringing about change is limited. They are likely to be in roles where for example they:
- Assist chefs and cooks in preparing a wide selection of dishes according to recipes
- Weigh and measure ingredients
- Clean, peel and slice vegetables and fruits and make salads.
- Cut, grind meats, poultry and seafood in preparation for cooking.
- Clean and prepare cooking/work areas, equipment, utensils and cutlery.
Normally, persons working at Level 1 should be able to competently carry out simple and routine work activities and to collaborate with others through work groups or teams. The qualification covers the competencies of preparing and cooking various types of food, using different cooking methods while working in a safe and hygienic manner.
Relevant occupations include:
- 3rd Commis Cook
- 2nd Commis Cook
- Trainee Cook Commis Cook
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How the qualification is structured?
To achieve the full qualification, candidates must complete ten (10) units in total made up of five (5) mandatory units plus three (3) optional units from Group B and two (2) optional units from Group C.