Who is the qualification for?
The NVQ in Food and Drink Service Level 1 is for individuals whose Food and Drink Service role require well developed behavioural competence, but whose scope for independent decision making and for bringing about change is limited. They are likely to be in roles where for example they:
- Assist waiters/waitresses by keeping the serving area stocked with supplies cleaning tables and removing dirty dishes.
- Replenish the supply of clean service items
- Assist in taking customer’s orders and serving food and beverages
- Perform routine and predictable activities under supervision
Normally, persons working at Level 1 should be able to competently carry out simple and routine work activities and to collaborate with others through work groups or teams. The
qualification covers the competencies of preparing and cooking various types of food, using different cooking methods while working in a safe and hygienic manner.
Relevant occupations include:
- Bus Person
- Assistant Waiter/Waitress
- Food and Beverage Server
- Dining Room Attendant
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How the qualification is structured?
To achieve the full qualification, candidates must complete seven (7) units in total made up of three (3) mandatory units plus four (4) optional units.