Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals who wish to enhance their effectiveness in the automotive service industry. Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Auto Mechanics
- Apprentice Mechanics
- Automotive Service Technicians
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units plus a minimum of three (3) Level One elective units and one (1) Level Two elective unit’.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Prepare for general servicing/repairing of motor vehicle
- Remove, service and replace steering and suspension system components
- Dismantle wheels and remove/repair/refit tyres/tubes
- Service clutch, CV joints and final drive assemblies and or associated components
- Remove/refit/replace manual transmission and drive train system components/unit from vehicle
- Service disc/hydraulic braking systems
The optional units include:
- Perform routine inspection and testing faulty electrical system component/unit
- Carry out minor repairs to electrical wiring/lighting/warning systems (minor)
- Service engines and associated engine components
- Carry out basic mechanical cutting operations
- Machine brake drums and brake disc rotors
- Preparing for oxyacetylene/metal arc welding processes