Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals who provide child care services and wish to enhance their knowledge of early childhood development. Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Nursery Attendants/Aides
- Child Care Providers
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units. Elective units achieved will be awarded unit Statements of Competence.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Care for children’s physical needs
- Apply basic first aid
- Support the rights and safety of children within duty care requirements
- Promote children’s emotional, sensory and motor development
- Facilitate children’s language and cognitive development
- Foster and enhance children’s social development
- Assist children with medication
- Facilitate the appropriate management of children’s behaviour
- Caring for babies and children
- Facilitate children’s creative expression through art, music and movement
- Provide support for children affected by domestic and family violence
The optional units include:
- Plan, implement and evaluate daily activities for children
- Support parents in their parenting role
- Undertake case management in a child protection framework
- Advocate for the rights and needs of children and young people