Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the plumbing trade in the building and maintenance industry. Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To achieve this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units plus a minimum of one (1) Level One elective unit, three (3) Level Two elective units and one (1) Level Three elective unit.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Interpret standard specifications and manuals
- Installing and maintaining piping and tubing
- Perform technical computations – general
- Install valves, regulators and metering devices
- Roughing-in customer’s pipework (install pipework)
- Install plumbing fixtures
- Install plumbing equipment
- Prepare material and locations for installing drains and waste systems
- Position, join and secure pipes and components to provide drains and waste systems
- Carrying out routine maintenance of plumbing systems to sustain effective performance
The optional units include:
- Perform manual heating and thermal cutting
- Undertake fabrication, forming, bending and shaping
- Perform advanced welding using oxyacetylene welding process (OAW)
- Shut down/isolate machine/equipment
- Attend to breakdown
- Assemble distribution systems and components
- Install and maintain main distribution systems and components
- Maintain the effective operation of storage and distribution systems